Monday 9 May 2011

A Day Off at Spurn

Marsh Harrier

ditto

ditto
Common Sandpiper

Common Sandpiper

ditto

ditto

Whimbrel

Whimbrel

Wheatear

Reed Bunting

House Martin

Peacock

I had a day off today so went to Spurn. I arrived at 9am, but nearly 100 bird species had already been recorded! One of the first birds I saw was a Marsh Harrier, which was just passing Canal Scrape as I sat down at the hide window! There was also a Common Sandpiper here, which gave really close views. I went down to the point, where there was one really colourful male Wheatear, and a couple of Willowchiffs, and plenty of singing Common & Lesser Whitethoats and Linnets. A Spoonbill flew the full length of the spit, and I managed to see it, but wasn't able to take any pictures. At least 10 Sparrowhawks flew south along the point, and one nearly hit my windscreen as I was leaving, but the camera focussed on the inside glass, rather than at the hurtling bird. There were reports of Bonxies and Black Terns out at sea, but little of this was visible in the areas I visited. The Brown-tail moth caterpillars seem to be even worse than ever this year, and I was nearly home before I spotted one on my thigh - luckily, it doesn't appear to have shed any of its toxic hairs - so far!

No comments: